Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||A double-blind homoeopathic drug proving of Curcuma longa 30CH, analysing sympotomatology [i.e. symptomatology] in relation to the doctrine of signatures||Authors:||Pillay, Karasee||Issue Date:||2011||Abstract:||The aim of this study was to determine the effect that Curcuma longa 30CH would have on healthy individuals, and record the particular signs and symptoms produced. These signs and symptoms determine the therapeutic indications of this remedy, so that it may be prescribed according to the homoeopathic Law of Similars. The second aim of this study was to analyse the symptomatology of Curcuma longa 30CH in relation to a Doctrine of Signatures analysis of the Curcuma longa plant, in order to facilitate a more comprehensive understanding of the materia medica of this substance. Design The homoeopathic proving of Curcuma longa in 30CH potency took the form of a double blind, randomized, placebo controlled trial. Thirty healthy provers were selected on the basis of them meeting with the necessary inclusion criteria (Appendix A). The provers were randomly divided into 2 groups, of which 20% (6 of the 30 provers) formed the placebo group and received non-medicated powders, and the remaining 80% (24 of the 30 provers) received medicated powders (verum). The 2 groups were not aware of the nature of the substance that they were proving or the potency used. The provers recorded their mental, physical and emotional states over a period of a week prior to taking the remedy in order to establish a baseline for comparison after the administration of the remedy. Both verum and placebo were dispensed in the form of 6 powders. Each powder was taken sublingually 3 times daily for 2 days or until the prover experienced the onset of any symptoms. Each prover kept a journal and recorded their proving signs and symptoms daily after administration of the remedy or the placebo. The data was collected and extracted from these journals and then assessed by the researcher for suitability to be included in the materia medica of Curcuma longa. All data gathered from the case histories (Appendix C), physical examinations and group discussions were also considered for inclusion. Results A variety of mental, emotional and physical symptoms were produced and included in the materia medica of Curcuma longa. There were a total number of 202 symptoms that were produced as a result of the remedy, which resulted in the formulation of 141 rubrics. The main mental and emotional symptoms that surfaced during the proving were depression, a deep sadness, changeability of moods, courage/confidence, relaxed/ calm and less anger, agility, increased concentration, and vivid dreams. The physical symptoms noted were diarrhea, change in energy levels (too much or too little energy), burning sensations, headaches, heart palpitations and increased breathing rates. The symptoms that came about during the proving clearly showed correlation and association with the nature and description of the Turmeric plant, this is in keeping with findings of previous provings (Pistorius, 2006; Webster, 2002; Speckmeier, 2008 & Pather, 2009), furthermore as suggested by Richardson-Boedler (1999:173) the Doctrine of Signatures analysis of the Turmeric plant facilitated in the interpretation of the proving symptoms and thus the materia medica of the remedy.||Description:||Mini-dissertation submitted in partial compliance with the requirements for the Master’s Degree in Technology: Homoeopathy in the Department of Homoeopathy, Durban University of Technology, 2011.||URI:||http://hdl.handle.net/10321/665|
|Appears in Collections:||Theses and dissertations (Health Sciences)|
Show full item record
Page view(s) 13,259
checked on Jan 20, 2018
checked on Jan 20, 2018
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.